Sunday, July 16, 2006

Monsoon Season




I push out of Vientiane with fresh legs well aware of the gradient of the road ahead it's all mountains from here on through into Vietnam. The road north climbs steadily through rolling hills and we put in some big days I have a time line on my Visa and must exit by the 27. It takes it toll but I rest up hang out with the backpackers drink away some good night in the bars.
It’s a lovely road through some epic scenery hard fought through burning climbs only to be released over the ridge on the 20k rolling decent. A good ride through the clouds, often white out raining and wet, chafing my balls and I still cant wipe the smile from my face some of the best roads yet.
A little concerned when you see the guy with the Ak walking up the road not uncommon all over but I spoke to a guy who was on a bus pulled up by masked rebels on this road in 2003, two hostages taken and executed along with a couple of Dutch cyclists that happened upon the scene a scary tail that seems so out of place for such lovely ride, reminds you to keep your wits about you although it's a safe road today.

Lung Prabung a world Heritage listed city with it's old school French style and tropical feel. Set on the river and my last view of the mighty Mekong. I also part with Jukka here and I wish him all the best for his trail, It's not legal to ride through Tibet but if the mountains don’t stop him hears hoping the authorities don't either. I myself am making a b-line for Vietnam taking a short cut that's inevitably going to bite me in the ass but that’s all part of the fun, Ill tell you how it goes.

No comments: